Frequently asked questions
How do I know if I need treatment for heavy periods?
If you are experiencing one or more of the situations described below, your periods affect your quality of life and you may require treatment:
- Periods lasting longer than 7 days, re-occurring each month
- Profuse vaginal bleeding making daily activities such as work difficult to manage or maintain
- Scheduling for social, leisure or holiday activities directly around monthly menstrual cycle
- Soaking several tampons or sanitary pads every hour
- Presence of blood clots in your menstrual flow
- Fearing or going through embarrassing incidents caused by excessive menstrual bleeding
- Feeling inhibited with your partner
- Feeling weak, tired, sad or irritated
- Severe pain or cramps during menstrual flow
- Experiencing menstrual cycles of less than 25 days
Your gynaecologist can help you to find the appropriate solution.
How do I know if Cavaterm™ is indicated for me?
Your gynaecologist will perform a thorough medical examination in order to diagnose the cause of your heavy periods. Further conditions related to heavy periods, such as anemia or iron deficiency will be evaluated. The results obtained will allow your gynaecologist to define whether Cavaterm™ is indicated for your condition or not; in other words, which treatment is appropriate for you. In case of begnin pathology resulting in heavy menstrual bleeding, Cavaterm™ will be an option.
What are the advantages of the Cavaterm™ treatment?
The Cavaterm™ treatment is associated with relevant advantages and benefits, such as:
- Cavaterm™ is a safe, simple and reliable method for you and for your physician
- Cavaterm™ will significantly reduce or even eliminate bleeding during your periods
- Cavaterm™ treats and preserves your body: only tissue which causes bleeding is removed, this procedure is performed without incision, under light anaesthesia
- The Cavaterm™ treatment is very well tolerated, both physically and emotionally
- It is possible to schedule a Cavaterm™ treatment at any time during your menstrual cycle and it does not matter if your period occurs at irregular or unexpected intervals
- The treatment and recovery time are extremely short
- You can return to your daily activities shortly after the treatment
- Cavaterm™ is a permanent treatment
- Cavaterm™ is free of hormones and does not interfere with your hormonal balance
- Cavaterm™ is proven to be effective : approx. 95% of women treated with Cavaterm™ are durably satisfied with the treatment
- Clinical experience of more than 15 years shows that Cavaterm™ is a safe and reliable treatment
Is the Cavaterm™ treatment painful?
Normally not, because it is performed under light anaesthesia and medication is provided to prevent pain after the treatment. However sensitivity to pain varies much from a person to another. If pain is felt at any time during the treatment, we encourage the patient to express it at once and she will receive additional pain relief.
What can I expect from the Cavaterm™ treatment?
The purpose of this treatment is to reduce your heavy periods. Normally lighter periods resume again 2 to 3 months after the treatment. However they may also stop completely even though you may not yet be in menopause.
Does Cavaterm™ cause side effects?
Cavaterm™ does not cause any heavy nor long term side-effects.
Pain similar to strong menstruation cramps can be experienced during the hours following the treatment. This discomfort will be treated with pain-relieving medication.
Vaginal discharge may occur following the treatment. There is nothing to be alarmed about, it is part of the healing process. It is advisable to use sanitary pads as protection instead of tampons.
How long does it take to recover after a Cavaterm™ treatment?
You will normally be discharged a few hours after the treatment or the next day. You will soon be able to return to your usual activities.
Can I still become pregnant after a Cavaterm™ treatment?
Pregnancy after a Cavaterm™ treatment becomes difficult or even impossible and therefore this treatment should not be used if you still want to become pregnant. In fact, it destroys the inner lining of the womb, which should be intact in order to bring to term a normal pregnancy.
On the other hand, Cavaterm™ does not guarantee sterility. A pregnancy occuring after a Cavaterm™ treatment can be risky. Therefore you will still have to consider a reliable method of contraception.
Does Cavaterm™ generate early menopause?
No, Cavaterm™ does not interfere with your hormonal balance or your cycle phases. They will occur as normal but, since the tissue generating bleeding will be significantly or totally eliminated, you will experience reduced bleeding – or perhaps no bleeding at all – during your periods. Your cycles will not be affected and you will not go into early menopause.
Do you have any questions, which are not on the above list ? In this case, please feel free to contact us